Calaveras Death Index

You can look for the names of your deceased ancestors by clicking on the letter of the alphabet that matches their surname. Information in these lists was as accurate as possible with the information available at the time the lists were compiled but new information that was found since, may have caused some of the names in the lists to have inaccurate information now.  
Some of the burial places and towns are now gone (Camanche, Fourth Crossing etc.) and the bodies may have been moved to other cemeteries.  Newspapers, coroner inquests, probate files, mortuary records, grave markers and many other sources were used to compile these lists. These files are large so allow time to open them. 

                           B   C   D    E-F   G   H   I-J-K   L   M   N-O   P 

Q-R   S     T    U-V    W -WH   WI-WZ  X-Y-Z

Calaveras Cemeteries 

A list of over 100 burial sites in Calaveras County has been made from death records, newspaper articles and other sources. Some of them are no longer burial sites because the bodies were removed and reinterred in other places, perhaps when the land was flooded to form lakes. Other sites are on private land and some of those no longer are visible. Families often had burial sites on their ranches and larger towns have established cemeteries that are still in use. You can read this full list and download or print it. 

Carson Hill School in 1882

Calaveras Genealogical Society


PO Box 1472, San Andreas, CA 95249

For general questions to the Calaveras Genealogical Society email:

To contact the Calaveras Genealogical Society President email:

For questions related to the quarterly Froghorn (either to submit articles, requests for advertising or for back issues) email:

For questions related to the Calaveras Genealogical Society Surname List email:

This is the old hotel at Fourth Crossing

Contact Us

PO Box 1472, San Andreas, CA 95249

If you have a query about an ancestor who lived in Calaveras County, the CGS may be able to help you. In the Comment section enter your question, along with all names, dates etc. that you know about the person. A CGS member will do lookups in the county birth, marriage and death indexes. They cannot obtain birth, marriage and death certificates, which are held by the Calaveras County Recorder who charges a fee for each certificate. The volunteer can also search for newspaper obituaries in old newspapers (not more recent years issues). After you click Submit, the form will be sent to a CGS volunteer, who will contact you by email with the information found.

Finding Them